The Fifty Shades movie franchise has officially wrapped — and it went out with a mountain of cash.
Fifty Shades Freed hit theaters this weekend, snatching the domestic box office crown with $38.8 million in earnings. The James Foley-directed erotic romance drama saw Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan return to their acclaimed roles as Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey. Only this time, they were newlyweds trying to escape Ana’s stalker of an ex-boss.
Though the opening numbers for Freed were enough to give it the No. 1 spot, the film’s debut is noticeably behind its predecessors. The original film opened to a whopping $85.2 million in 2015, and 2017’s Shades Darker opened to $46.6 million. Still, the new earnings are nothing short of a victory for the trilogy, which reportedly only cost a combined $150 million to make. Why? Because it crossed the $1 billion mark worldwide this weekend. Through Sunday, Freed is fixing to take in about $98.1 million from foreign territories, giving it a global take of $136.9 million. Not bad, right?
According to comScore, here are the top 10 domestic earners from this weekend:
1. Fifty Shades Freed — $38.8 million
2. Peter Rabbit — $25 million
3. The 15:17 to Paris — $12.6 million
4. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle — $9.8 million
5. The Greatest Showman — $6.4 million
6. Maze Runner: The Death Cure — $6 million
7. Winchester — $5.1 million
8. The Post — $3.5 million
9. The Shape of Water — $3 million
10. Den of Thieves — $2.9 million